Sunday 15 June 2014

Big things come in small packages

I am seldom overwhelmed by the things that people do for me. Mainly because I have found very few who have gone out of their way to do something for me. That might also be because I don’t let them anymore. I prefer to be the one who gives up on a show that she had been waiting to watch for a long time, the one who is going to let you place the order at a restaurant according to your choice etc etc. And I would do that happily. Well, the reason for that is, I’m more scared that if I say what I wish for, the other person won’t live up to my expectation and I will be, umm, disappointed. So, when someone actually takes that little extra step for me, I am overwhelmed.

To say I’m blessed to have the best colleagues at work, would be an understatement. What with Miss Paul getting up from her much loved sleep at 4 in the night to make sure that I’m back home, and at the same time Miss Praveen consoling me about a stupid disappointment (once again, too many expectations), Miss Jha’s help for almost every other dreaded photoshoot, Miss Kumari’s late night chats even though she’s too tired, a certain ‘grumpy cat’ who will shout but help you out every time and Miss D.

I know Miss D is back at work because there is already a goodie bag at my desk. And yes, I love gifts but why I especially look forward to hers is that there are those little notes that always, always make me feel better (with her deep belief that even though we may progress digitally, hand written notes are the best).
I don’t know how many notes I have till now but I know I cherish each. 22 notes for my birthday alone, a special New Year wish, a letter about her vacation and the things I should do, all this while she is sitting right next to me (well, almost). And I’m not even counting the little ‘Thank You’ notes or the frightful ones about dirtying her desk yet again.

Her notes are special because she never makes my problem obvious. She turns it into a minuscule one in the end (after the whole letter reads about how awesome she is and sometimes, about how nice I am), but that strikes hard. It has always urged me to take a step or refrained me from doing something silly. And when it comes from Miss D, someone who respects privacy more than anything yet knows what pains my heart, it has to be special.

I’m writing this down at 4 a.m. and that shows how important it is to me. Miss D and I have had really innate conversations about life, relationships and of course, boys, as we have waited for a 20-minute cappuccino. And more than often, we have found each other in the same boat. Not ready (anymore) to settle down for anything that is not the best, similar experiences of rejection (sort of) and most importantly, big dreams (always).

As I conclude, Miss D, I direct this letter to you. Thank you for all the gifts but I am grateful for those letters that lift my spirits and bring me back every time. Very few people (read: Miss Paul, one of my best friends from Pune and my ex-boyfriend) have written letters to me and good or bad, I hold them all close to my heart.


That with Miss Paul’s incessant efforts to understand my hopes, my confusions about boys (had to sneak this one in) and my anger and Miss Praveen’s jokes directed at me, texts to check up on me always and companionship for my shopping trips, is what makes me believe that I’m an amazing person to have such good friends. (cue- narcissistic laugh).




No comments:

Post a Comment